Outside the Curriculum
The Sixth Form experience is about more than gaining academic qualifications – although this is of utmost importance. We place great emphasis on ensuring that our students are also well rounded individuals.
All students in the Sixth Form are required to complete at least 20 hours of community help within the school and/or the wider community during their time in Sixth Form.
In doing so, students use their skills to contribute to the wider community and gain valuable experience that will also benefit them. There are many opportunities highlighted to students throughout the year, including helping in lessons with younger students, volunteering at local charities, helping at school events, peer mentoring, litter picking etc.
We also run a Year 12 Active Citizenship programme which runs for eight weeks during Life Skills. Students form working groups and devise a project to collaborate on, with the support of a link tutor. Over the eight weeks students plan and implement the project, culminating in a final display of all the year group’s projects.
We pride ourselves in offering a wide range of responsibilities and activities. In total we offer over forty positions of responsibility, these give the students an opportunity to develop themselves and give something back to the wider school community.
These additional roles and responsibilities add credibility to both job and UCAS applications.
- House Captains, Arts Captains, Sports Captains, Eco Captains and Charity Captains
- Taking a lead in a whole range of activities within Houses
- Community Service both within school and in the wider communities
- Representing the school at official events
- Mentoring programme
- Higher education visits to universities and conventions
- Mock interviews with university lecturers and senior business figures
- Guest Speakers
- Music – school, district and international tours
- Sports teams – school, district, county and international tours
- Theatre visits
- Sixth Form Subject Conferences
- World Challenge & Duke Of Edinburgh Awards
- Life Skills – Careers, Opportunities, Organisation & Life Lessons
- Work Experience