Duke of Edinburgh Award
The Duke of Edinburgh Award is a high quality, enjoyable, challenging and rewarding programme of personal development activities for young people aged 14 – 25.
It operates in three progressive sections:
- Bronze for those aged 14 and over – we offer this to those in Year 10.
- Silver for those aged 15 and over – we hope to offer this to students who successfully complete the bronze award.
- Gold for those aged 16 and over – we hope to be able to offer this to students in the future.
Each Award is made up of four sections (five for Gold) that involve:
- Service – helping other people in the local community
- Skills – covering almost any hobby, skill or interest
- Physical Recreation – sport, dance and fitness
- Expeditions – training for, planning and completing a challenging journey over two or more days
- Residential (Gold only) – staying away from home for five days and four nights doing a shared activity with people you don’t know
Why attempt the Award?
Achieving an Award will give you skills, confidence and a view on life that everyone is looking for, from employers to colleges and universities.
You will be recognised for doing things you want to do (and may even be doing already).
You will make a difference to other people’s lives and your community, be fitter and healthier, make new friends and have memories to last you a lifetime.
And above all, it’s a great laugh – the question should really be why wouldn’t you bother!
This challenge is for anyone who enjoys a challenge, wants to develop new skills and to make a difference in their community.
Bronze Programme 20-2021
40 Year 10 students have signed up to undertake their Award this year and have started activities for their Physical, Skill and Volunteering sections. They will be undertaking their expeditions in May and July.
Silver and Gold Programmes 20-2021
The higher levels will be offered to any student who has completed their Bronze Award. Please speak to Miss Moore in the Sixth Form Centre if you are interested in progressing on to Silver or Gold.
DofE expeditions must be unaccompanied, self-reliant and by the participants own physical efforts. For the Bronze Award, participants need to complete a 2 day expedition carrying all of their kit, walking an average of 14 kilometers per day and camping over-night.
Tring School will be using A to Z Expeditions to provide the training, support and supervision to enable participants to safely undertake this expedition. Further details of who they are and what they do can be found on their website http://www.azexpeditions.com
- Pre-expedition training day – 26 March 2021
- Bronze Practice Expedition – 22 to 23 May 2021
- Bronze Qualifying Expedition – 3 to 4 July 2021
|Duke of Edinburgh||Date|
|DofE Expedition information and reminder letter (13 Jan 2021)||15th Jan 2021||Download|