Travel and Tourism provides students with the opportunity to study an interesting and rewarding subject. This course is suitable for students wishing to progress to A Levels or pursue a career in the travel and tourism industry.
It will provide underpinning information of the structure and procedures of one of the largest industries within the UK. This course will count towards your required points for Sixth Form should you wish to further your studies at Tring.
“Coursework units account for 60% of the final grade. Coursework units are based on case study material, allowing students to work at their own pace”.
“Only 1 unit is examination (40%) sat in January with a resit opportunity available”
The course allows the students to investigate real life travel and tourism activities and will include educational visits to industry organisations such as Wembley Stadium and Thorpe Park. We also work with some exciting organisations Kuoni Travel, ZSL, Chelsea and Arsenal Football clubs and Twickenham. Students will learn why Travel and Tourism has become one of the UK's fastest growing industries and the biggest employment area in the world. The course introduces students to the Travel and Tourism industry and encourages them to gain an understanding of the skills required for all future employment or higher education – whatever subject that might be in.
Travel and Tourism is the same as any other subject you study at GCSE and will count towards your required points for Sixth Form should you wish to further your studies at Tring. The main difference is the way it is examined with only 1 short exam worth 40%. The remaining marks come from coursework tasks.
BTEC Tourism is an “applied” subject. This means we use a variety of assessment techniques. We link to employees and teach practical as well as academic skills.
Students taking Travel and Tourism have received excellent results with nearly all achieving their target grade and many exceeding it.
In 2019 Tourism results at KS5 were the best in the school in terms of pupil progress. Current Year 11:
- 92% above or on target
- 77% on target to achieve the equivalent of grades “9-5”
- Students do not need to have studied the subject at year 9.
“100% of Tourism students would recommend the subject to other students to choose in their options”
Subject Leaders: Mrs Hay and Mr Lickfold
Travel & Tourism Level 2 BTEC
- Unit 1: Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destinations
- Unit 2: Influences on Global Travel and Tourism
- Unit 3: Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism
Skills and Knowledge:
- You will develop an interest and knowledge in worldwide Tourism, people and places.
- You will learn about aspects of marketing, customer service and business.
- You will have the opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way.
- You will develop skills that are highly valued by schools, colleges · universities and employers. This course is an excellent way of progressing into the Sixth Form.
Students will cover three units over two years. 60% of the course is internally assessed coursework tasks, only 40% is an external exam. This exam has a resit opportunity during year 11.
This course is suitable for:
- Anyone interested in Travel and Tourism.
- Students who generally prefer coursework.
- Anyone interested in studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experience.
- The topics studied and learning styles will provide vital life skills that will be useful no matter what job or further study students decide to do.
- The course is taught using a variety of teaching methods.