How to Apply
The government requires that all applicants for ITT must:
- have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C / 4 (or above) at GCSE in English and Maths, plus Science for Primary
- must hold a first degree of a UK higher education institution or equivalent qualification (a first degree comprises 300 HE credit points of which 60 must be at Level 6)
- have passed the professional skills tests prior to the start of training
- have the capability to meet the required Standards by the end of training and possess appropriate and intellectual qualities to be a teacher
- pass an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check to ensure they have no convictions that would preclude them from teaching
- be able to read effectively and communicate clearly and accurately in standard English, both verbally and written
- take part in an interview process designed to assess your suitability to teach.
- have a degree that is at least 50% in the subject they wish to teach although we will consider in some cases degrees that are closely linked e.g. an engineering degree for a science training place
WE ARE LOOKING FOR GRADUATES WITH:
- a commitment to working with young people
- good communication skills
- a fascination with the learning process
- a love of their subject
- the ability to motivate and enthuse
- a sense of vocation for the profession
Although it is not a requirement, we advise applicants to accrue as much experience as possible in this area before the start of training. Where applicants are not able to spend a considerable amount of time in school we will consider other involvement with young people. For example, experience of training or coaching, having been a leader in an organisation such as Guides or Scouts, running a youth group or any other kind of appropriate contact with young people.
WHAT IF I GAINED MY QUALIFICATIONS OVERSEAS?
If this is the case we need verification that your degree is the equivalent of a first degree from a UK HEI and your other qualifications are equivalent to GCSE grade C English and Maths. We will only accept this verification from NARIC whom you can contact on firstname.lastname@example.org or you can visit their website www.naric.org.uk.
KEY QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER
- Having checked the entry requirements, have I got the relevant qualifications?
- How can I demonstrate I am passionate about my subject?
- Have I gained some work experience in a state school in the UK?
- What other experiences can I bring into teaching?
- How can I demonstrate I have the team-orientated, professional and organisational qualities needed?
- Am I both realistic and excited about what the job entails and the workload – do I know what I am getting into?
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for a School Direct place you need to use the central application form on the UCAS website which will open on 8 October 2019.
You will be able to search for places and apply directly to lead schools. If you wish to apply for a place with DSA you need to select Tring School / Dacorum Schools Alliance from the drop down menu. Our provider code is 1HS.