How to Apply
The government requires that all applicants for ITT must:
- Have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C / 4 (or above) at GCSE in English and Maths, plus Science for Primary
- Must hold a first degree of a UK higher education institution or equivalent qualification (a first degree comprises 300 HE credit points of which 60 must be at Level 6)
- Have the capability to meet the required Standards by the end of training and possess appropriate and intellectual qualities to be a teacher
- Pass an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check to ensure they have no convictions that would preclude them from teaching
- Be able to read effectively and communicate clearly and accurately in standard English, both verbally and written
- Take part in an interview process designed to assess your suitability to teach.
- Have a degree that is at least 50% in the subject they wish to teach although we will consider in some cases degrees that are closely linked e.g. an engineering degree for a science training place
WE ARE LOOKING FOR GRADUATES WITH:
- A commitment to working with young people
- Good communication skills
- A fascination with the learning process
- A love of their subject
- The ability to motivate and enthuse
- A sense of vocation for the profession
Although it is not a requirement, we advise applicants to accrue as much experience as possible in this area before the start of training. Where applicants are not able to spend a considerable amount of time in school we will consider other involvement with young people. For example, experience of training or coaching, having been a leader in an organisation such as Guides or Scouts, running a youth group or any other kind of appropriate contact with young people.
WHAT IF I GAINED MY QUALIFICATIONS OVERSEAS?
If this is the case we need verification that your degree is the equivalent of a first degree from a UK HEI and your other qualifications are equivalent to GCSE grade C English and Maths. We will accept this verification from UK ENIC. This is the link to their website www.enic-naric.net.
KEY QUESTIONS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER
- Having checked the entry requirements, have I got the relevant qualifications?
- How can I demonstrate I am passionate about my subject?
- Have I gained some work experience in a state school in the UK?
- What other experiences can I bring into teaching?
- How can I demonstrate I have the team-orientated, professional and organisational qualities needed?
- Am I both realistic and excited about what the job entails and the workload – do I know what I am getting into?
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for a School Direct place you will need to use the DfE "Apply" service which will open on 10 October 2023 and close on 24 June 2024.
You will be able to search for places and apply directly to lead schools. If you wish to apply for a place with DSA you need to select Tring School / Dacorum Schools Alliance from the drop down menu. Our provider code is 1HS.