In Business Studies GCSE students explore decision making and develop problem solving skills. Students also learn about the external business environment in which businesses operate and the factors that influence them.
Students work with marketing, financial and economic concepts, learning to appreciate the complexity of successful business management and monitoring.
At Key Stage 4 students learn the basic concepts for setting up a business, including market research and developing a business idea. This is further developed when looking at how to manage a successful business, including product/service management, key recruitment and selection issues as well as financial management. At KS4 students will have a basic understanding of businesses within the wider environment including government intervention, the economy and competition.
The Level 2 Award in Retail Business introduces learners to one of the most important employment sectors in the UK, exploring various aspects of retail business and investigating a range of retailers from large chains and department stores through to independent and virtual stores.
It is practical, work related course. Students learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. The Award is equivalent to 1 GCSE.
Business Studies GCSE
YEAR 10 - THEME 1
Written examination. Paper: 1 hour and 30 minutes 50% of the qualification 90 marks
- Topic 1.1 Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Topic 1.2 Spotting a business opportunity
- Topic 1.3 Putting a business idea into practice
- Topic 1.4 Making the business effective
- Topic 1.5 Understanding external influences on business
YEAR 11 - THEME 2
Written examination: Paper 1 hour and 30 minutes 50% of the qualification 90 marks
- Topic 2.1 Growing the business
- Topic 2.2 Making marketing decisions
- Topic 2.3 Making operational decisions
- Topic 2.4 Making financial decisions
- Topic 2.5 Making human resource decisions
Retail Business Level 2
WHAT WILL I STUDY
The course is made up of three units that will be studied over 2 years. One of these units is an examination based unit. The other units are portfolio based.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED
Unit 1: Customer Experience
Unit 3: Retail Operations
• Units are assessed through summative controlled assessments.
• You could achieve a Level 1 pass or Level 2 Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Unit 2: Retail Business
• One 75 minute examination
• Three questions
• Short and extended answer questions, based on stimulus material and applied contexts
• You could achieve a Level 1 Pass or Level 2 Pass, Merit or Distinction.
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AND PROGRESSION
This qualification allows a natural progression onto the AS Business Studies course and further study onto a Business/Economics degree. It also provides a route to employment into the many diverse areas of business including roles in specialist areas such as marketing, finance, customer service or human resources in a large organisation or a more generic approach in small local businesses.
ENRICHMENT AND EXTRA-CURRICULAR
To support students learning inside the classroom we are developing a range of visits to external businesses that students can refer to in their exams, homework and to develop a deeper understanding of business concepts. Students will be working on a Citrus Saturday lemonade project, as well as visiting Cadbury World in Bournville and The Harry Potter Studio experience, for real-life marketing workshops.
BUSINESS STUDIES DEPARTMENT
|Subject Leader||Mr I Holmes|
|KS4 CGSE||Mrs D Edwards|
|Mrs S Puma|
|Mrs M Walter|
|KS4 BTEC||Mrs D Edwards|
|Miss T Morgan|
|KS4 Retail Business||Mr I Rogers|